Monday, February 13, 2012

Learning to love the pencil...

Okay, I have to admit that I'm starting to appreciate the pencil a bit more, if only for the fact that it allows me to do SOOOO much erasing and reworking (as can be seen from all the little erasure marks that I neglected to brush off the page before scanning). 

Someone recently noted (I apologize for forgetting who) that the difference of a millimeter changes a face from beautiful to... not as beautiful in terms of proportion.  Drawing these portraits has made me a true believer of that.  Unbelievably, I have found that erasing from one side v. the other of a bold line makes all the difference in the world between making someone identifiable v. not.  It's painstaking for someone who has not done this type of work before, but I love the fact that it's made me really tune into details.  So, onward and upward, as the saying goes.


Oh, I also realized that I need to stick with floating heads for awhile. I tried filling in a neckine and jacket and it again just completely changed the look of it.  I continue to be in awe of those people who can sit down and quickly sketch a completely recognizable character.  Maybe one day...

Hmmm... I should upload things more often. It's amazing how seeing them on the screen allows me to see EVEN MORE of the imperfections.  A slightly revised version below.



I can still see a lot of things I want to change...  I'm going to walk away for a little while and come back to it with clearer eyes. 

okay, okay, okay, okay, okay... my hubby is about ready to have me committed because I can't keep away... I keep tweaking and adjusting things that he says only I can see, which is probably true.  But now I'm obsessed (as usual) and I can't stop fiddling with this.

1 comment:

  1. I resonate with what you write - I am still a long way from producing accurate portraits in a short time. Let's keep practicing! One day ....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...